Top 5 tips for staying healthy at work…
One must avoid the office snacks
Birthdays, Fridays, hump days and ‘just because’ days, there always seems to be a constant flow of sugar laden, low nutrient based snacks in our offices. So how do you avoid them?
Here’s some reasons why you should put the biscuit down…
- Raises your blood sugar levels as most naughty snacks are high in processed carbohydrates
- This creates further cravings and can lead to overeating
- Post sugar dip leaves you feeling tired
- Sugary snacks provide unnecessary fats and are low in nutrients
- High in calories, so you end up having more energy than you need
For guidance: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/sugars.aspx
You should try these instead……
- Fruit- whole fruit
- Hummus and veg sticks
- Nuts with natural yogurt, blueberries and grated at least 85% dark chocolate
- Energy balls
Take the darn stairs
Everywhere! Your commute to and from the office is the best opportunity to get some stairs in- walk up the escalators and take the stairs everywhere you can, the underground is full of them!
In and around your office building- don’t press a button and wait- take the stairs!
Why you should take the stairs…..
- Burns more calories than standing in a lift
- Tones your glutes, hamstrings and quads
- Sometimes, you can beat the lift
Use ones’ lunch break
GET OUTSIDE! Aim for a 10 minute walk every lunch time and you will notice so many positive benefits.
Or you can actually fit your workout into your lunch break! 20-30 minutes for a lunch time workout is sufficient and if you’re as luck as we are and are based in Bloomsbury we are spoilt with green areas. Why don’t you take a jog and see what new places you can find? Or use the green space to do a HIIT training session- grab an office buddy and use your lunch break to exercise:
- Resistance bands are easily transportable for green area work-outs
- Running/jogging requires little planning and you get to explore the area near your work
- Improved concentration through the afternoon
- Increased metabolism
- Afternoon glow
Eat a well-balanced feast for breakfast
- Low in sugar
- High in protein
- Whole Fruit
- Overnight oats
- Smoothies with at least 70% veg
Glug, glug, glug- keep your water bottle close, there are some great re-useable ones out there where you can add fresh fruit to lightly flavour the water. Green Tea is always a winner and the warm water makes you feel fuller.
Let us know how you stay healthy at work!
Written by Jenny Darlow
Contact us on 020 7874 7020 or email email@example.com
BMA House, Tavistock Square, London, WC1H 9JP